MyPATH introduces a unique ‘curriculum based framework’ to help people learn and maintain skills, maximise their independence and track their progress over time.
MyPATH is the result of an 18 month project funded by St Laurence and included fantastic input from people with a disability, their families and our staff. The underlying principles followed in developing the MyPATH approach are:
- using a person centred thinking approach at all times
- encouraging people with a disability to have greater choice and control over their support services
- increasing opportunities for people to make choices and decisions for themselves
- promoting growth and independence
- responding flexibly to individual needs and supports
- encouraging self-management of support services.
MyPATH is an initiative of St Laurence Community Services Inc and our mission is 'helping people help themselves'.
St Laurence is a not for profit charitable organisation supporting people in communities across Victoria; people with a disability, older people and people experiencing disadvantage through unemployment and homelessness.
See YouTube clip below for a song was is written and performed by MyPATH participant Tammy Goldspink. This song is about person centred practise which is about consumers working towards reaching their goals and moving forward in a positive direction. It aims to inspire others who commence with MyPATH and access St Laurence support services (www.stlaurence.org.au).
Below is the video produced by St Laurence, How I Want To Live, discussing services provided by St Laurence.
||Helping people help themselves
St Laurence mission